Monday, December 27, 2010

Will it be a happy new year for your business?

I recently heard that the federal government was hiring more investigators. In addition to those employers who have mis-classified their employees and failed to pay overtime due, the government is looking for employers, who have been lax in their handling of I-9s documenting their employee’s legal right to work in the U.S, who prevent employees from exercising their employment rights, or ignore their employees’ well being.

Just last month the National Labor Relations Board weighed in and is watching how employers handle employees who use social networks to complain about their work, co-worker, bosses and working conditions.

It appears to me, also a small business owner, that unless you are paying close attention to managing your employee relations, the chances of running afoul of any number of regulations, laws or practices is growing easier by the minute. The really frustrating thing is that I seem to spend more time managing my HR than growing my business. HR and employment issues impact every aspect of my business and if you think about for more than a minute, I bet that you can (and do) say the same thing. Thank goodness that I know exactly what I need to do to solve my HR issues. It is my job to keep fully abreast of legislation, court decisions and regulatory adjustments, so I am pretty sure that no “surprise” inspection will cost my business any part of my hard earned income.

Our company employee handbook is up to date and fully compliant with all federal, state and local laws that apply to me and my business. We have in place standard policies and procedures for handling all types of employment issues that may come up. Our paperwork and employee files are current and accurate, our leave policies are consistent and comply with all the leave policies required by the FMLA, ADA and Work comp.

Of all the things that can impact my business I am in control of my employee relations and fully compliant with every law and duty I have to obey as a business. I am ready for 2011. I hope you can say the same thing. Happy New Year!!!

Glenn Brown is the CEO of G & J Consultants, LLC. In addition to having directed the HR Department of a health care services company, Glenn is an attorney with 15 years experience assisting businesses of all sizes and industries in complying with employment and labor legal issues. G & J Consultants specializes in providing small and medium sized businesses with traditional HR services as well as compliance with employment laws and regulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment